Foreign Resident Registration [for Residence Card (Formerly known as Alien Registration Card)] is compulsory for all Working Holiday Makers arriving in Korea. Registration must be done within 90 days of entry at the nearest Immigration Office of your stay (jurisdiction).
A Residence Card (Formerly known as ARC) is required for many activities in Korea, such as opening a bank account, purchasing a mobile phone, signing a lease, and working legally in Korea.
It is essential that you submit all relevant documents with your application. The immigration officer will take your fingerprints and give you a receipt with the date that you can return and pick up your Residence Card. It usually takes 3 weeks to process a Residence card.
- Valid Passport (Working Holiday Visa)
- 1 Photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm) - plain white background
- Application Form (Available at Korea Immigration Center)
- Fees (30,000 KRW cash)
- Travel Plans
- Job Certificate(Only for the person concerned)
- Housing Contract Document
* You must make an online reservation before visiting the immigration office
How do I know which office is in my jurisdiction?
- Call : 1345 domestically(just 4 digit number) / +82-2-6908-1345 internationally
* If your individual information has been changed while residing in the Republic of Korea (such as your name, nationality, date of birth, passport number, passport validity date, passport issued date, address in Korea), you need to report that within 14 days to the immigration office. Regarding this, please contact Immigration Contact Center for the further reporting process, call 1345 without the area code.
National Health Insurance
The purpose of national health insurance is to improve the public's health and promote social security by providing the public with insurance benefits for the prevention of disease and injury, medical examination, medical treatment, rehabilitation, childbirth, death, and improvement of health (Article 1 of the「National Health Insurance Act」). From July 16th, 2019, any foreigner who has stayed in the Republic of Korea for more than six months, he or she MUST be subscribed to the National Health Insurance. For further details, please contact 1577-1000 (extension 7 for foreign languages) or 033-811-2000 or http://www.nhis.or.kr/ (Multiple languages available)
- NHI Application form for the insured employee or NHI Application form for the self-employed
- Residence card (formerly known as ARC)
- Passport (Working Holiday Visa)
- Certificate of employment contract (If applicable)
National Health Insurance Corporation (NHIC) Call Center
- 033-811-8000 (Foreign language services)
- http://www.nhic.or.kr/ (English, Japanese, Chinese available)