Foreigner stay

  • Foreigner stay is categorized as follows
    -Short-term stay: Limited, up to 90 days of stay
    -Long-term stay: Limited, more than 91 days of stay
    -Permanent Residency: Unlimited period of stay
  • Long-term stay and Permanent residency must register as a foreigner or file Domestic Residency Report within 90 days of arrival.

Scope of activities and employment for foreigners staying in Korea

  • Foreigners are granted rights to any activities granted by their visa, and may stay as long as their given period of stay. They are not, however, allowed to participate in any political activities except when specifically allowed by law.
  • Foreigners seeking employment during their stay in Korea must have a visa that allows it, and may only work in workplaces designated by local or district Immigration Office.
  • If they wish to change their workplace, permission must be received from the local Immigration Office prior to  the change.
  • Visa statuses that allow employment are as follows.
    • Short term employment (C-4), Professorship (E-1), Foreign Language Instructor (E-2), Research (E-3), Technology Transfer (E-4), Professional Employment (E-5), Arts & Performances (E-6), Special Occupations (E-7), Employed Trainee (E-8), Non-professional Employment (E-9), Vessel Crew (E-10), Residency (F-2), Overseas Koreans (F-4), Permanent Residency (F-5), Working Holiday (H-1)
  • It is unlawful to hire, recommend, or arrange for hiring of foreigners who don't have appropriate visa status, and doing so is punishable offence under the Immigration Act
  • Therefore, one must check for the following before hiring any foreigner.
    • Valid foreigner registration card
    • Appropriate visa status - employment may be restricted depending on visa status. Consult the local Immigration Office for details.